Thursday, January 12, 2012

My poinsetta damaged by cold blast of air... help!?

I brought the poinsettia from work home to keep. Problem is it was brutally cold outside (minus 30 degrees C ---very very cold!) and while I fiddled with my keys to open the lock on my door my poinsettia was blasted by the frigid air for about 1 or 2 minutes.



Anyway, now the plant looks really rough, all the leaves are wilted and the colour seems off.



Is there anything I can do to save the plant?



Will it revive itself in a few days?

My poinsetta damaged by cold blast of air... help!?
Poinsettias are actually a bush that grows in Mexico!



They are sold here of course at Christmas time. The poinsettias that we buy in the US are chemically treated to remain small for about 3-5 months. After that, the chemical treatment begins to wear off and the plant begins to grow...but will never grow normally now after that chemical was sprayed on it and they begin to look "leggy"...like they are growing long and weird and you keep thinking you should trim them. Poinsettias are only meant to last during the holiday season. This is why they are almost always thrown away. The people that keep them are working with a lost cause and just don't know it!
Reply:I'm not a plant expert by any means, but my understanding is poinsettias are not very hearty plants and you're usually lucky if the live more than a couple of weeks. We've has some poinsettias at work that lived for close to a year, but most of the time they start to wilt shortly after Christmas and don't seem to respond to anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment